Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What's The Guff Chet?!

Round 1: Last year I purchased a nice new Mountain Hardwear Sub-Zero down jacket. Things were going good until I noticed that the fabric that the jacket was made out of would soak up skin oil and discolor the jacket around the neck line. I called Mountain Hardwear's customer service and they said to wash it & then spray it with some DWR. Me not so happy. I returned it to REI for a full refund.

Round 2: I pick out a North Face jacket. I had the North Face jacket for the remainder of the winter and it was OK but not meeting my standards so I sold it on eBay.

Round 3: I did some research and looked at new jackets for a week and finally found one that I liked, The North Face Falcon Stretch Shell Jacket. It was fully seam-taped, water proof, light liner which made it warm yet breathable and it fit just right. I really like this jacket and have owned it for about 3 months. Yesterday I was ready to put the jacket on and noticed that under the sleeves by the arm pits the fabric was starting to pill up. What's the guff Chet? Do manufactures even test their products anymore? I really like this jacket but I don't want to exchange it for the same thing if this is going to happen again. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Should I exchange it for the same one or search again for another jacket? I might give North Face customer service a call to see if this was just a defect.

Update: Round 4: I contacted North Face, no known defect and they wanted me to sent it in to them. Since I would not like to freeze my nutz off for the remainder of the winter, I will be bringing it back to REI to be exchanged.

-MikeyB

5 comments:

pete said...

Those are all the reasons I went the OR route. Right now you should be able to find a hell of a deal on anything out there and OR has an infinite warranty. Seriously awesome stuff. I also always liked my Marmot stuff and would also consider Arc'terx.

-pete

MikeyB said...

REI doesn't carry much of the OR jackets and they very light on the Marmot. Now that I will pretty much get store credit I guess I can check out some of the Arc'terx stuff but most of their stuff are soft shells. I wish Gander would have had two of those Marmot down jackets that Aimee has because that frickin thing is awesome in the cold weather.

Melanie said...

Just wear Aimee's. :)

I'd write to the company and complain. Kathy does it all of the time and gets some neat stuff out of the deal.

MikeyB said...

I wear Aimee's when ever I need to take Zoey out :)

Aimee said...

and I wear Mike's when he's wearing mine and that is why we have a pill problem!!! :)

 
Copyright 2009 Mikey B's Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator